June 02, 2013

Week Two//

Three walking tours in three days bookended by a trip to Ostia Antica, the ruins of Rome’s ancient port city, adds up to a full and fast week. The tours began at the Palantine to see the huge palaces that covered the hill. We walked through the palaces that were dotted with pieces of modern art and then continued down in the Forum and finished the day with a visit to the Colosseum. Wednesday we toured Early Christian Churches and saw the site of the original founding of Rome along the banks of the Tiber where Romulus and Remus were found and raised by a she-wolf. Thursday continued Early Christian Rome with a tour of the Caelian Hill. Thursday finished with our second group dinner, some great pizza, tiramisu, and Pictionary on the tables.

at St. John Lateran

the group at Ostia Antica

Group Dinner



This week I also got to cross a few things off my wish list that I ran out of time for last summer, including a visit to St. John Lateran and sketching Castel San Angelo. We had planned to cross a third item off, by attending mass at St Paul’s this morning but we found the Metro closed. Instead we ended up watching a military parade from Circus Maximus and doing a little sketching of the Palatine Hill. I can’t believe the second week here is already coming to a close but I am looking forward to week three! 

No comments: