June 02, 2013

Two Months Isn't Nearly Enough

Here I am in Rome...surreal doesn't begin to describe it.

It's interesting: you don't realize how many voices are around you until you can't understand what their saying.  The cars, the vendors, the mopeds, the tourists, the locals it all adds up into such a huge cacophony at times.  Then you take a few steps through the doors of a church or a palazzo and its eerily quite.  It's an impressive display of design, I hope to find myself capable of mimicking it some day in the future.  

The food is amazing.  I forgot how much I missed having a fresh market to shop at.  The boys and I have been doing some pretty good cooking, I've been gathering inspiration from what I've been tasting at the restaurants.  Tonight we're having a bit of a potluck at our apartment with the rest of the students.  Planning on making some kebabs.

The drawing has been difficult for me.  I've never been a fast artist, preferring measured and well thought out strokes over working off of instinct.  However, that strategy has its limitations.  I'm working to improve my sketching abilities and plan drawings.  Sections in particular are difficult, getting the height to width and curves all proportionally correct.  Six more weeks of work and hopefully it'll all have fallen into place to some degree.

The weather has been very odd.  From what I heard from previous students in this program I was expecting much less rain and wind, but hopefully that all changes soon.  Next time I travel I'm packing more warm clothes, no matter what anyone tells me.

The city is awesome, but I can't wait to get out to the country next weekend.

No comments: