June 20, 2013

Time to Wander

Last weekend while the rest of the group scattered about the country to explore, I stayed in the city and enjoyed four days of wandering and exploring anywhere I felt like going. Most of the time I spent was walking down streets that intrigued me. What I came to find on these small explorations is how complex the inner city of Rome really is. I found that no matter which road or alleyway I turned down I wound up in a familiar place after a while. I also met my uncle and cousin who are traveling around Europe. Later in the week we had the opportunity to visit Zaha Hadid's Maxxi Museum of Contemporary Art. The structure itself was includible, especially the entrance lobby with its "floating" staircases that crisscrossed overhead. The art installation regarding future energy requirements and potential solutions was the most intriguing. Next weekend we take our second trip to Assisi, and I am looking forward to climbing some mountains. 
Below: Watercolor of Fontana Dei Quattro Fiumi in Piazza Navona, and the same Obelisk in the background of the photo of my cousin and I.

No comments: