June 30, 2013

No place like Venezia





This past weekend most people decided to stay in Rome but I could not resist the urge to travel and see more of Italy. I left late Friday night and arrived in Venice at the early hour of 6am just in time to be greeted by a sunrise. Wasting no time I took off to explore and of course my usual way of navigating, getting lost, served my well. I discovered a amazing local Cafe, farmer's market, and fish market. However, I did have to find my way to visit the other island where I went as far south, east and west I could with out have to take a boat anywhere. On my way I stopped at the Teatro La Fenice, S. Maria D. Salute, Gallerie Dell' Academia, and S. Stefano and many many more. Feeling a little tired I decided to stop for lunch and while I wanted to have lunch on the Grand Canal (a little pricey) the food, atmosphere, and view did not disappoint. After lunch I decided it was finally time to go see Piazza San Marco and the Doge's Palace knowing it would be overwhelmed with tourist. I did not have to pull out my map to find the Piazza I just had to follow where the huge crowds were funneling into alley ways and spilling out into piazza along the way. The Piazza, Palace tour, tower, museum were absolutely amazing! With about 4-5 hours left in Venice I decided to take a long confusing walk to Chiesa Di S. Vidal where earlier I bought a ticket to attend a concert that evening. Lasting only 2 hours I was upset it was over but was the perfect way to end my evening in Venice where afterwards I took a walk in the moon light to later hop on a water-bus and then a train to Termini.

No comments: