June 14, 2013

Atrani I miss you ALREADY!!

   We just had our first field trip last weekend where we traveled to Paestum and the Amalfi coast. We left Rome around 8:30 and drove about three hours to Paestum. Once we reached Paestum where spent a bit of time admiring the temples and working on on-site sketching and watercolor painting. Paestum is an archaeological site that possesses the largest collection of Doric temples in the world. Below are a few sketches I did while we were there.
 
     After our afternoon amongst the temples we then headed to the Amalfi coast and our final destination Atrani. However, in order to get to the beautiful sea side town we had to take probably the windiest bus ride along the coast. Luckily for me I had the great pleasure of being sandwiched between Nicole and Sill, making the bus ride very unforgettable.
   Once we arrived in Atrani I fell in love with the place, it literally looked like it could be in a fairy tale. The water along the Tyrrhenian Sea was so clear and I was very glad that I had remembered to bring my goggles:) The entire weekend we spent most of our time exploring the areas around Atrani and Amalfi, along with sketching and of course lounging at the beach. One afternoon we also made the trek to Ravello, a small town tucked way up in the hillside behind Atrani. Once we arrived at the end of our very steep hike we had the most spectacular view of the coast line. We also happened to see Oscar Niemeyer's Auditorium which was located in Ravello.
   Last weekend was without a doubt the most fun I have had in Rome so far. I loved getting away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Atrani it was a pleasure getting to know you over my brief stay and hopefully I can come back again!!

No comments: