June 18, 2012

" You bella are Brava" - African man

Week 5 this means the second half of my trip in Rome, Italy. Time here seems to move a lot quicker than I like it to be. I feel like I’m finally getting the hang of things  here and I’m in the middle of my stay. It’s a little sad to think about it. Every week I have hundreds of stories to talk about the many people I briefly meet on the streets and the things that I did, but I don’t think there is anyone that would like to sit there and hear me rant about my life in Rome for 10hrs. So I’m going to write about it…only a week’s worth. Here goes……

This last week we had the privilege to go on a fantastic tour with one of the smartest people I have ever met. And I know a lot of smart people but this man just blows my mind away. Jeffery knows much about history, people, architecture, art, especially Rome. The way he delivers his knowledge makes me want to take on Rome and know more. This week we went on a baroque tour with him and I learned so much but realized how little I still know. 


Aside from our adventures on the streets of Rome, my classmates and I had our piazza projects to work on and present on Thursday. Studio is not like it is back in Moscow. So far and hopefully never, have I pulled an all-nighter. We work in studio and we have live music playing outside in the Piazza. It might be the same four songs over and over again but its free and its live. Because presentations were due on Thursday most of my evenings was spent working on my piazza project which wasn’t nessearily a bad thing. Sometimes I need a little break of going out every night. Right after our presentations we had sketchbook exhibition which I found really helpful. I’m finding that my sketching skills are improving. The more I do it the more I learn. 

The Weekend was full of walking to the point I felt like my feet were going to come off. A close friend of mine from California came to visit and I had the privilege to show her around. I basically tried to show her everything that I’ve seen in the last month in a matter of two days. Mission was accomplished. It was really nice to go back to a lot of the places i wanted to spend more time in. Like the Coliseum, the Forum, the Pantheon (which I just can’t get enough of), and we got to visit the Vatican City. The Vatican City is amazing in its own way and I just can’t wait to visit again in a few days. 
The heat here is starting to get out of control. I was in the streets of Rome at 9am and it felt like it was 80% outside. This means a lot of sunblock, even for me. The longer I’m here the more I realize what a lucky girl I am to be here. I can’t be grateful enough to all the people who helped me have this amazing trip. This last month had honestly been the best month of my life. 

No comments: