June 10, 2012

Week 3: Amalfi, Ostia & Firenze!


What a great week. We finished off last weekend at the Amalfi Coast, which made this week fly by as we toured incredible churches and made progress on our studio projects. On Friday we got to go to Ostia Antica, which was very eye-opening and inspirational, reminding me of how important architecture is, and how timeless it can be…a common theme I’m noticing as I tour more and more places in this great country. We ended the day by going to a beach in a nearby town, which was a great way to end a day of touring ancient ruins in the sun.
The highlight of this week was my ad Katie’s spur-of-the-moment trip to Florence. We took the train there on Sunday morning, and with the help of a few of our friends that had previously studied there, we had a giant list of things to do. We started by going to the Uffizi Gallery, one of the greatest collections of Renaissance paintings in the entire world. This was my favorite part of the trip because after studying Renaissance art and art theory for a year, I was blown away to see all of these masterpieces in real life, and know a lot about their origins and stories. Towards the end of the museum tour, I turned a corner to see my absolute favorite Renaissance painting, “Primavera,” by Botticelli. I had no idea that it was in this museum so I was shocked and overwhelmed by its presence. Honestly, I could have starred at it for hours, but I starred at it for an appropriate amount of time before we decided to head towards the heart of the city and check off some more items from our Florence bucket list. We saw the Ponte Vecchio, a beautiful bridge with lots of jewelry shops and live music. We also got to see Piazza Signoria, a piazza outside of the Uffizi Museum with lots of copies of Michaelangelo’s sculptures, as well as some originals.
The next morning we went to the Accademia Museum to see Michaelangelo’s “David.” Again, I was absolutely stunned by its power. It’s hard to believe that a statue so prestine and detailed was carved out of marble when it looks like it was carved out of butter. We then decided to climb the Duomo, which was a difficult task, but 500 stairs (that were NOT to code) later, we arrived at the top where we got incredible views of the city surrounding us. All of the roofs were different colors of rust, creating a sea of oranges and reds that went on for miles…an indescribable view. If you plan on visiting Florence this summer (which I STRONGLY recommend that you do!) here are a few tips:

1.     Get a hotel/hostel close to the heart of the city. We got a cheap hotel that was too far to walk to, and what we saved in hotel costs we paid for in taxi rides.
2.     Get up really early. Lots of the museums that you’ll go to are very touristy, so the earlier you get there the less you’ll have to wait in line. OR you can pre-order your tickets online. I think it’s a little more expensive, but when you don’t have a lot of time to waste it’s always a good idea to plan ahead. Also check museum schedules. They all have weird hours.
3.     Sketch the David! This was suggested by a student from last year, and I didn’t think that I could do it but it was a really fun challenge. Since you’re not allowed to take pictures it’s a really good way to analyze and learn about it, too.
4.     Go to Ponte Vecchio. It is a bridge right in the heart of the city and it is gorgeous, as well as fun to watercolor.
5.     Climb the Duomo. We weren’t able to climb the dome itself since it is closed on Sundays, but we were able to tour the clocktower for 6 Euro. I actually really liked this because we got a really great view of the dome…something only architecture enthusiasts can really appreciate!
6.     Go to the Boboli gardens. Beautiful gardens alongside a beautiful palace with great views of the city as you hike towards the top.

If you plan to go to any of the art museums and want to know about some of the really famous paintings, let me know! I know tons about the paintings and LOVE talking about them, and it makes it more impactful when you know the stories behind the paint. 

No comments: