June 10, 2012

Viva la Italy


Viva la Italy:

My stay in Rome thus far is pure amazing. This was the end of week three for me and they have been but a blink in the city’s eye. I do my best to make every hour count and not miss anything, but honestly that is kind of impossible. The best way to see the city is to walk, which is exactly what we have been doing. This week started with our trip to probably one of the most beautiful places on this planet. Atrani and Amalf are really  breath taking. We started our trip at 6:00am Friday moring to give us enough time to take the bus and get to the train early to not miss our train. We took the train to Salerno and took a little afternoon trip to another city of ancient times, Paestum. The day in Paestum was a warm and perfect for a day touring the ancient Greek temples. These temples were just as breath taking as the pantheon was for me. They are in just great condition its almost unbelievable. The way the city is still laid out gave me a real sense of how life back 2000 years ago might have been. Seriously what a blessing to be part of this trip.




After our wonderful afternoon in Paestum we went on way to Amalfi our final destination for the weekend. We took a train back to Salerno, where I hopped on the craziest bus ride of my life!! Seriously the roads are only wide enough for one car but somehow two cars still manage to squeeze by a gient bus coming around a curve and go 30 mph. I sat on the left side of the bus where the best view outside was but also the scariest. At times felt like I was going to fall off the tight curve. Needless scary ride there was so worth it. The Sight as we approached Amalfi took my breath away. The architecture there is beautiful, with houses based on the edges of cliffs and mountain and all the colorful façades are beautiful. That night was one of my most relaxing nights in Italy. When I woke up and looked out my window, I couldn’t wait to explore. Break feast was delish, the sun was amazing, and sketching was a blast couldn’t decide what to sketch, the people once again were so kind and the Ricotta was so much fun. I can go on about my weekend in Amalfi but I would take up at least ten pages. I really hope to come back to this place again.



We returned back to Rome on Monday night which was nice to be home and relax from a relaxing weekend, if that makes sense. This week we also went on another but magnificent tour with Jeffery Blanchard, showing us the grandeurs of the renaissance time in Rome. He exposed us to the antiquities, the Renaissance and the beginnings of baroque art. The more tours we go on the more I believe that the city itself is a museum. Italy has the power to surprise.

No comments: