June 04, 2012

Week 2: Roman Forum


The Most intriguing part of week 2 for me was the walking tour by Tom on the Palatine Hill, Roman Forum and at the end, an on-your-own tour of the Flavian Amphitheatre. The most interesting part of the tour was the Roman Forum. Although the Forum is in ruins, it’s amazing to retrace the steps of past Roman people. It truly makes one have a greater appreciation for the Forum and how it served the Romans.  Using the imagination, you can start to see how ancient Roman culture functioned within the Forum spaces. You start to see monuments being built in the name of great Roman leaders, or common people listening to a public political debate, or the people buying goods at markets. For me it really reflects how the Romans preserved the heart of their culture by building structures which have stood up the test of time, and makes me think are we doing the same kind of building today? in 2,000 years what will the future tell of our civilizations culture through building archeology? 

 

On a more personal note, I feel as if I am making great strides at observational sketching this past week, although I am not at the level that I want to be yet. The next step for me I think is to become more confident with my line work, and getting perspective little more accurate. I have been doing extensive research to find various sketching styles that I like, and trying them out on my own sketches, while trying to develop my  own style.

No comments: