June 05, 2012

The Second Week: Pentecost, Paestum, and Atrani


It is the end of our second week in Rome. I have learned so many things about its history and ways of travel this week!  I noticed that Italians are not very good at keeping track of time. They also don’t seem to mind waiting as much as Americans seem to.  When something such as fireworks, or a row boat race, doesn’t exactly start on time, the crowd doesn’t seem to get anxious or upset… they just keep on enjoying themselves. It is important to enjoy the in between times, the times when you are not exactly needing to do anything specific besides wait, those are great times for sketching, conversations, or just soaking in your surroundings.
Roses falling through the oculus at the Pentecost
The 27th was the Pentecost, which is a celebration in the Pantheon that commemorates the holy spirits descent on the 12 apostles and other followers of Jesus Christ. The Pentecost began at 10am with a Roman Catholic Service that was in Latin, I did not understand most of it, but when the congregation sand it was beautiful, and just to be standing inside the pantheon is awe striking in itself. After about an hour and a half, all heads looked upwards towards the oculus of the Pantheon. Suddenly, thousands and thousands of rose petals rained down upon us in bursts of red graceful billows. Pictures do not do it justice. I do not know how many rose petals were used total but the petals continued to fall for about twenty minutes in a continuous downpour.
This last weekend we went to the Paestum. Paestum is a lovely patch of undisturbed Greek temples near the Mediterranean coast. They had such rich history, and it was very interesting to see such old temples in such great shape!
From Paestum we continued onward to Atrani, we got there at dusk but even in low light you could not mistake its beauty. The entire city is built into a cliff, with uneven staircases going every which way. Once we got there we enjoyed some delicious dinner beside the sea and called it a day.

Temple at Paestum
The next weekend I went on several hikes, spent many hours on the beach and worked really hard on my sketches. There was a little restaurant by the beach which made the most amazing tuna sandwiches I have ever had in my life. Kelton and I enjoyed one of those tuna sandwiches each day that we were there. On Sunday was the Rigotta, which is a row boat race between the four maritime powers of Italy. All the crowds were cheering with intensity! A-MALF-I! After an eight minute rowboat race and some extreme confusion it was announces that Amalfi had won! I was sad to leave Atrani, that was a great weekend and being outside of Rome was really nice. It was also great to return to Rome and have it all be familiar to me again.  

No comments: