June 06, 2012

Atrani/Amalfi

This last weekend, we all went to the Mediterranean coast and stayed in a little town called Atrani.  It was so beautiful! The town was literally built straight into the cliffs on the coast.  The town consisted of one piazza and one "main" road with a series of stairways and passage ways shooting off from there.  It was like a maze through the mountain side.  One bay over was another little town called Amalfi which was a lot more touristy and crowded but pretty much the same layout as Atrani.  On Sunday there was a regatta and Amalfi won! which was the town we were rooting for of course.  That evening, there was a lot of celebration including a SPECTACULAR fireworks show which was the most amazing fireworks show I have ever seen in my entire life.  Nothing in america on fourth of July or new years can even compare.  In between all these events, most of the time we just soaked up the sun on the beach, which I enjoyed immensely.  It really made me miss the ocean and living on my sailboat.  I felt like I was at home again! Being from a small town, I am not used to all the hustle and bustle of Rome, so it was a very nice relief to escape for a while.  Especially since we got to enjoy the beach and seaside!  Visiting Atrani has probably been the best part of my trip so far and I can't wait to go on more field trips around Italy!

No comments: