The highlight of this week was definitely going to Hadrian's Villa. We went on our own time yesterday and it was amazing! It was so great to see all the old ruins first hand and imagine the place in its prime. It truly must have been magnificent. I especially loved seeing the ruins of where his famous library would have been, because I remembered learning about that in architectural history class. He was one of the most well traveled and knowledgeable emperors of Rome. We did some sketching there, and I even managed to sneak in a little nap laying in the grass under the trees. That was another part we all found very refreshing, was being among trees, grass, and mountains again. I can see why Hadrian wanted to have a retreat away from Rome, sometimes a break from the city hustle and bustle is just what you need, especially in the hot summer time.
Today, I decided to spend the day on my own and just wander around the city. I managed to find my way around without a map for the most part. I visited the Porta Pia, which has always been one of my favorite works by Michelangelo. Then I had a great lunch at a nice cafe kind of near the Colosseum (it was the most reasonably priced place I could find in that region) and then continued on my way to pass by the trevi fountain and the Spanish Steps, concluding my journey near villa Borghese where I relaxed under the trees for a little while. It was a great weekend!
June 17, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment