June 05, 2012

2. Paestum / Amalfi / Atrani

This past weekend we made a trip down to the Almalfi coast.  On the way down we went to Paestum, in the South of Italy, to learn some history and practice sketching in a new environment.  To get to Paestum we left Trastevere early Friday (6/1/12) morning by bus to the Rome train station, took a train to Salerno, followed by another bus on to Paestum.  While in Paestum we got the opportunity to view three Greek temples.  These were the: Temple of Athena, Temple of Hera I, and Temple of Poseidon (called Temple of Hera II).
From Paestum we travelled by train back up to Salerno and kept heading North by bus to the town of Atrani.  The town of Atrani is a beautiful small community nestled into a portion of the West Coast of Italy.  Our days were filled with climbing seemingly never ending stairs always leading to higher and better vantage points of the lively town beneath.  Although having only spent a mere three days in Atrani, and Amalfi (a ten minute walk away) I can only wish that I will someday have the opportunity to return again in the future.  I enjoyed every moment spent in Atrani, from the time hiking up thousands of steps and sketching the magnificent views to the times sitting in Piazza Umberto people watching and interacting with the Atrani locals.



View from one of the highest vantage points

No comments: