Last night the group got back from a wonderful weekend on the Amalfi Coast. We left Rome early Friday morning, and took the train down Salerno and a bus to Paestum. The weather was perfect, sunny but not hot. The ancient Greek temples there were absolutely amazing, especially how good of condition they are still in. This year we spent more time than we had in past years, but I still feel like it was not enough. We got lunch, sketched for a few hours, and wondered around. I enjoyed the ruins at Paestum more than the forum in Rome, because we were allowed to wonder through/on the ruins (except for still-standing temples). This year we were also received passes to go inside the museum; although i found it quite boring compared to what was outside in the fields.
After Paestum, we took the train back to Salerno, and then a bus up the coast line to Atrani. The first night was pretty calm; we got dinner and settled in, and fell asleep very early. But we woke up bight and early the next morning, had a delicious breakfast, and decided to take a boat to the island of Capri for the day. However once we got there, we (Ciera, Corinne, and I) were convinced to buy a package deal to take a private boat for a day trip along the coast, visiting the caves and grotto's. It was a great decision, and we still had several hours to look around Capri, and do a far amount of swimming, plus all the views from the boat were beautiful. The only downfall was a nice sunburn....
On Sunday, a few of us look a nice hike up to Ravello in the morning, and did a few sketches, and walked back down for lunch. I cannot even describe how many stairs there were, but our legs were defiantly uncontrollably shaking on the way down, or what we like to call 'Amalfi coast hiking syndrome'. In the afternoon there was the Regatta Parade, where each of the 4 racing towns had there own traditional parade; it started in Atrani and ended in Amafli. After the parade finished, the boat race started, and AMALFI WON! SCORE! Late that night, there was a fantastic firework show that was far superior than any of the USA's, it was unreal! Then we went back to Atrani and played a soccer game with some local children with a aluminum can in the Piazza.They were a lot of fun! The next morning Ciera and I went on a hike to the top of the cliff in between Amalfi and Atrani, and it was wonderful, and a nice break from walking on Concrete/stone all day.
This past weekend was by far the best I have had, and I didn't want to leave! I can't wait to see what the rest of the summer has in store for us.
Kathryn
Regatta Parade
Lighthouse near Capri
No comments:
Post a Comment