Week 5: Vatican City
I made my first trip to Holy See this week. It was a fun adventure making my way through the smallest country in the world, but it truly just felt like an extension of Rome and not another country, because it is so small. I had been looking forward to making my way to Vatican City since I arrived in Rome five weeks ago and after my first trip there, which was on Wednesday morning for a sketching session and tour of the Vatican Museum, I went back both Thursday and Friday to do more exploring. Saint Peter’s square was one of the coolest spaces I have ever been. I enjoyed the morning of sketching more then I could explain, but the best part about the whole thing was Saint Peter’s Basilica and the Vatican Museums. It was absolutely surreal to get the chance to see the Pieta and the Sistine Chapel in person, seeming I have studied both of them in school and seen them in so many books. The highlight of the week was easily the trek to the top of Saint Peter’s though. It was one of the most amazing views I have ever seen. You couldn’t get a much better view of the city of Rome, unless you own a helicopter. I could go on for days about the Saint Peter’s, the museum and Vatican City as a whole, but those were pretty much the highlights. Overall I had a great week and enjoyed another week spent in Rome.


No comments:
Post a Comment