When I first arrived in Rome I visited Saint Peter’s Basilica,
located in Vatican City. I remember
sitting along the steps of the colonnade on the left hand side, facing the
Basilica. The obvious exterior monumentality
of Saint Peters and the entire Piazza seen in the colonnade and the protruding dome
was inspiring. It was unfortunate that
during my first visit I was not dressed appropriately to enter the Basilica,
but I knew I’d be back! This past week I
have been fortunate enough to visit St. Peter’s twice. The first was yesterday, 19/6/12, with our entire
class after sketching exercises in the piazza.
We did not go into the Basilica as a group, but I entered with a few
other classmates. I was in awe of the
interior the moment I walked in. At this
point I did not know much about what the interior of the basilica held in the
forms of the relics it hosted, and the different artworks within. I remember wishing I had done some research
before entering. I was pleased to read
later that we would be meeting at St. Peters again the next day to enter the
Vatican Museum. This provided me with
another opportunity to enter the Basilica.
Before going in Matt gave us a rundown of dates. St. Peter’s Basilica is the burial site of
Saint Peter, who was one of the twelve disciples of Jesus. St. Peters is the location where many popes
have been interred, since he is considered to have be the first Bishop of Rome. There has always been a church on the site remembering
St. Peter since the 4th century.
The current basilica was completed in 1626. Several architects and artists, such as: Carlo
Mederno, Bernini, and Michaelangelo worked on the Basilica over the years of
construction. When Michealangelo first worked
on St. Peter’s he was 25yrs old sculpting the first chapel on the right as one
enters the Basilica and when he was working on the main dome he was 72. I have learned a lot more about the Basilica
but was still unable to see all that I wanted to. One thing on my list is to go back and climb
to the top of the dome. I understand
there is an amazing view of the entire city from there. I am also trying to get better at recognizing
the different domes and bell towers around the city from as many vantage points
as possible.
June 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment