June 30, 2009

Sunsets and Concerts


This weekend we took a little trip to a few hill towns, Spoleto, Assisi , and Perugia. My favorite place was Assisi. It is a peaceful small town that is medieval in character. There were a couple things that totally made the trip. The first was the thunder and lightning storm on Friday night. Beth, Elena, Eric, and I all ate gelato while watching it on the hillside. There were huge bolts but unfortunately my slow reflexes mean no photos. Then on Saturday night we went up to the Rocca Maggiore and watched the sunset. It was absolutely gorgeous. The sunset occurred at a slower pace which meant I was able to get photos, and lots of them. There was of course sketching and analyzing involved as well.
Perugia, where the largest university in Italy is located, was not as intriguing as a town. However the Duomo was beautiful with some amazing stained glass. By being in the right place at the right time Elena and I were able to watch the sun bust through the windows at the back of the apse casting beautiful colored light out into the space. Staying also meant we got to witness an organ concert. The organist knew how to make those pipes sing like nothing I have ever heard. It filled the space entirely. So incredibly amazing!

No comments: