June 17, 2009

BAR-THE-LONA


Wow. Again I am playing catch up. Two weekends ago a few of us went to Barcelona. It was incredible. I had always wanted to go but never thought it would materialize on this trip to Rome. Not having been a fan of Gaudi previous to this trip, I was pleasantly surprised to be astounded by his work. Seeing La Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, and Casa Mila among others, in person was a completely different experience than seeing a slide show of pictures.
Barcelona was a completely different city than that of Rome- both amazing cities, but just different. I could understand the language in Spain, the food was a change from pasta and pizza, the night scene lasted a lot longer- too long in some cases- and the scenery immensely contrasted that of picturesque Roma. We even experienced the city from the driver’s seat of a go-cart. It gives you a different tourist overview of sightseeing. The city is much larger than Rome and not as nice to wander around walking so we rented the go-carts instead and while I barely survived, it is an experience I will never forget. I loved it so much I considered accidently missing my flight and pretending I got left behind. It reminded me of Buenos Aires, Argentina where I have family- so I felt very comfortable to say the least. Ana’s friends we stayed with were the most generous and most entertaining bunch I have met. I will always have a place on my couch for them.
While I loved loved loved Barcelona and began to slightly love Gaudi, there was something special about the trip back to Rome. The feeling involved a new love for a city I used to never know and an a brief understanding of a language I struggled to speak. I have definitely embraced the culture and have a special place in my heart for Roma and all its ruins.

No comments: