June 06, 2009



Ostia Antica, the most beautiful and awe inspiring place I’ve ever seen. It consists of ruins in a picture perfect place, surrounded by trees and grass. A perfect day added to the splendor of the place. These ruins aren’t like others that are roped off with a 10 foot gap between you and them… you can walk in, around, through and among the ruins of the past as if they were yours. (With the few exceptions blocked off for safety reasons) with little modern interruption we were able to wonder through the ruins envisioning the buildings as they were and awe at what the still are. With magnificent black and white mosaics around every corner and new niches and hidey holes to be seen, the 20 minute trip out there and the 10 Euros it cost was the best time and money I’ve spent so far.

After some exploring I settled in to try my first attempt at water color. I’ve already fallen for the media and enjoy the way it moves and works. I have a lot to learn with it, but, I’m excited to use it through the rest of the summer. To the left is a photo from approximately where I was, my image is on the right.
As a side note and word to the wise, if you think you’re buying a 100 gram steak for 9.50, you’re probably getting a steak at 4.50 per 100 grams, and they’ll serve you a 900 gram steak, (half of it fat gristle and bone), and give you a bill at the end for 40 Euros…

No comments: