We stayed in an apartment just a few short blocks from the Sagrada Familia Cathedral in the middle of the historical district of Barcelona. We embarked on a sight-seeing adventure and discovered that Sagrada Familia was open to the public for free which apparently only happens once a year. After absorbing as much visual information as we could possibly hold, we strolled down a few blocks to the Casa Milà. Due to the long tourist lines and high entrance fees, we decided to admire from the exterior and further delve into this great city. The transition from the streets of Rome to the streets of Barcelona was vastly different in terms of pedestrian comfort. In Rome, sidewalks are essentially non-existent in most of the city and one must dodge anxious vehicles, whereas in Barcelona, the sidewalks were 20-30 feet depending on the area and cars were NOT allowed on them. It was definitely a distinct separation that was much appreciated.
To make up for it, Jessica and I got lost the next night and went searching for the rest of our group at around 11:00 at night near the Fountain d'España which just so happened to be the perfect time because of the Montjuic Fountain show. They light up the fountain and play music for all to enjoy, and we certainly did. We also didn't mind that we didn't find the other part of our group because we ended up playing soccer and volleyball on the beach and dipped our feet in the Mediterranean Sea. Not too bad of a night, I'd say.
All in all, Barcelona is definitely a Bucket List item. To be absolutely honest, Spain was never a place that I truly desired to visit at some point in my life, but it was a spur of the moment trip that ended up being such a remarkable and unforgettable experience.
2 comments:
great pictures
I love your picture of the fountain!! I wish I could have seen it
Post a Comment