Last weekend we were fortunate to field trip our way to Paestum, Atrani, Amalfi, and Ravello! Starting off in Paestum, we were able to see the Temple of Hera I and II and did some sketching. The scenery was amazing and being able to sit down and sketch was quite peaceful. That afternoon we made it into Atrani where we were able to settle in for a few days. Driving up the windy roads on the bus was definently an experience in and of itself. The road incorporating vast turns and periods of one way traffic on the steep cliffside--the window seat was intense! The scenery though, is so stunning. Before coming to Italy I always imagined the buildings incorporated into the hillside, and the numerous stair cases winding you through the city--visiting Atrani and Amalfi I felt like I was on a movie set. I can't wait to go back and visit again, definently a new favorite place on my list.
Some of us were fortunate enough to walk what felt like forever to the Grotto Smeraldo from Atrani. We walked about an hour and half, finally reached our destination, paid five euro, and entered inside. While being curious and fascinated at first, we were quite amused with the ten minute boat tour. We got onto the boat, and all our tour guide would say is "Looky Looky Idaho" as we would look into the water, and then go around in circles and then finally reaching our destination back to the platform. While the tour was not all that we imagined, the walk--although extensively long, was definently worth it. The views were amazing and being able to walk the turns along the cliff side and looking over the water--so beautiful.
If walking to the Grotto Smeraldo wasn't enough physical activity for the day, we also were able to hike up to Ravello the day prior. I think Katy counted some 1300 steps winding up the steep hillsides. It was so fun though and looking over the cities and the ocean, so stunning.
Overall, I found this past weekend to be one of the best. I never even imagined being able to visit places such as these, and I cannot wait to go back!
No comments:
Post a Comment