June 16, 2009
A Roman Maze
After traveling to Germany and Barcelona I found Rome to be the only one of its kind. Starting from the lowest ground level of the streets, or lack thereof, is where the personality of Rome is developed. I find myself constantly going on mini adventures everyday that usually
involve wondering aimlessly but assuring myself I know exactly what zig-zag I'm in. It became such a ritual event that we started making a game out of it. On adventures to our piazzas we would simply put the map away and just pick streets that we thought were in the general direction of our destination. The walk became the most intriguing experience. However, certain adventures would get a little to adventurous and we wouldn't ever make it to our destination but rather spend all our money in shops along the way. In response to this I started making my morning runs the adventures. By doing so I have been able to experience Rome in a whole new atmosphere that really involves the complex city lay out. Rather than finding a place on a map, I simply look up and decide which point I feel like navigating to. It's similar to running through a maze as you weave through parked cars, moving cars, restaurant tables, lost tourists, fountains, and historic ruins all confined into the width of a 5 foot road. Yet, the main challenge is always finding my way back home!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment