June 16, 2009

"Ghetto Superstar"


I am a bit behind in my blogging so this is not in reference to the most current postings. Two weeks ago we sketched in an area of the city named the Jewish Ghetto. Previously to today I was briefly introduced to some of the context of the ghetto including the adjacent Theater of Marcellus. The most memorable moment of that day was about half of the way through when I was trying to finish up a sketch of an interesting scene, when my nostrils were pleasantly overwhelmed by a sweet sweet scent. Thoroughly distracted by the smell, my sketch’s completion felt rushed and bothered because if was so difficult to stay focused. While receiving good feedback from my fellow sketching friends, peers and educators, Beth was blessed with a splatter of bird excrement on her lovely little shoulder. It was hilarious. However this created yet another distraction for the current task at hand: sketching.


After everyone calmed down from this excitement, I plugged in my iPod and zoned out into a world of sketching. At a certain point, I knew it was time to give in to my nostrils that were begging for just a nibble of deliciousness. With a few of my fellow peers, we followed the lingering sweet scent into a small, unsuspecting hole in the wall. I cannot even remember the name of the perfectly sized bar where I found the most delicious and incredibly cheap cappuccino and cornetto- a.k.a. Italian crème filled pastry resembling a croissant. I credit the growth of my sketches- not to practicing- but to the incredible food in my stomach.


Ending the morning at the Portico of Octavia, I was happy with my improved sketches, satisfied taste buds, and some sun on my cheeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice sketches, V, but what's up with Beth...first gelato splat, then bird splat. What's next? Hope she doesn't win the most "awe sh.. momments"