June 09, 2009

Rome Sweet Rome


This past week has been a busy one! I just recently got back from Spain over the weekend with some of the other students and it was such an adventure and so fun! Before that trip, and back in Rome, some of the sites we visited include: The Palatine Hill, The Forum, The Colosseum, Ostia Antica, as well as being able to watch the Festa Della Republica celebration. I cannot express how monumental and grandeur these places are-they’re scale is truly impressive. Visiting the Colosseum was definitely an image I hope to keep in my mind for a very long time—such an overwhelming experience.

Some afterthoughts in regards to my experiences thus far in Rome, include a conversation I had with Elena. She pointed out to me my ‘in-a-hurry’ walk that I seem to do quite often. I’ve realized how much more laid back people are here in Rome, in Trastevere. Back home, it seems that people are always in a rush, to get from point A to point B and don’t really talk the time to enjoy the ‘ride’ or walk to get there. Not to be cliché, but I’ve come to learn some great lessons thus far in Rome, in comparison to the lifestyle I live back home, versus the lifestyles people live here—and which I hope to adapt to more fully.

Included in this blog is a sketch I did last week of Piazza Mattei. I focused in on the fountain as I found it intriguing and helpful in regards to our Studio Piazza designs which we are currently working on.

Now to Spain—I honestly had such an amazing experience and learned so much. I was able to go with a majority of students from our group, and cannot believe all the incredible things we were able to do in such a short time frame. Upon arrival, I must say that we were able to stay in very nice accommodations right in the heart of Barcelona. We were so fortunate and so excited! The weekend was starting out nicely.

Starting early on Saturday morning, we visited Sagrada Familia and it just so happens that was the one day out of the year, they were letting in visitors for free! Go figure. Our apartment was only 2-3 blocks away from this massive structure and walking up to it in person—words cannot describe. Not only that, but being able to step inside of this church that has been worked on for years and years—so amazing!

Following our visit to Sagrada Familia, we walked downtown and were able to see Casa Mila as well—but due to time constraints, we were unable to go inside. Later, we sat down for what we thought was just a chicken and rice bowl down the street-but no. We learned our lesson; because after eating, we received our bill only to find out our plates were $22 euro each. Definitely the most I’ve spent on a meal for myself! But it was good, nonetheless.

On Sunday, a friend and I were able to attend a church service within Barcelona. We later were able to experience the Barcelona culture more fully as we were fortunate to visit and attend a BBQ with a family that lived outside of Barcelona in San Pol. Getting out of the city, and driving up to the very steep hills of Spain—I felt like I was in a movie. The houses so humble, and the roads so small and windy around the cliff sides. The view up top was so gorgeous! So much green and it just continued on for miles.

Monday morning, a few of us woke up early and headed to the Barcelona Pavillion. Wow! I was so excited that we were able to make it before our flight out later that day. The minimalist and purity of the building, I was truly in awe of.

While this past week has been busy, I am so grateful for the experiences I’ve been able to have. I never would have imagined being able to set foot inside the Colosseum, to visit Barcelona, and to spend the whole day with a family from Spain and to experience the culture more fully for myself. Until next time, Ciao!

No comments: