June 19, 2009

Fun in Atrani

While in Atrani I had a great time doing drawings of the spaces that the buildings create specially those with the stairs. At one point I came across a very interesting space, I thought of doing a simple diagram of the stairs that I was coming down on, how they came to an intersection with stairs going to the right and left. I however, was not able to just do that, it was so much fun to keep going around the corners and seeing where the rest of the stairs led, would they be going up or down, continue in a curve or become straight. Then what kind of spaces did they create, where they narrow or did they open up into a bigger space, the question where endless. I have included the drawing with a sketch that I did.
Coming back to Roma, I felt like I still have a long list of things that I want to see and that the weeks are flying by. So I figured that I might as well go on walks during the evenings and try to narrow the list. Yesterday evening while looking for the Quattro Fontane, I was amazed at the variety of languages that I heard as I was walking. From English, Spanish, French, Japanese, to many others that I could not distinguish. Roma is a center of culture, not just of the past but also of the present.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elena! That is a really awesome drawing. You did a great job!!