June 19, 2011

Week Four


On Thursday morning we went out and sketched. I always enjoy these group sketching exercises because it forces to me to draw complex subjects that I would usually avoid on my own. Like Sant Ivo for example. This was a fairly complex building that made it tough to draw. Luckily, Matt Brehm gave us a few pointers before we started.
Its fun to see my progression throughout the summer. We have only been here a month, but with all the sketching that is required of us, I feel like I have improved a lot. With sketching classes like this one, I have noticed my ability to draw overall spaces has improved, whereas before I would focus on details or just the facade of a building. I have also been working a lot more with shade and value, and using the contrast between light and dark to define forms rather than outlining everything. I have also been working on putting less detail into drawings and leaving facades that are in light white.

We have a month left in the program and I am excited to see how much further my drawing skills will improve. So far I have been working mainly in pencil, I need to try and brach out and use other mediums like pen and watercolor more.

No comments: