June 14, 2011

Week 3- Amalfi Vacation

Our first weekend away from Rome was amazing! I know tough life- a vacation away from our "vacation."
Before going to the Amalfi coast we toured Paestum. I really enjoyed seeing the ancient temples. It was a nice change, being able to see a different part of history in an open field and not surrounded by "modern" buildings in a big city.
My favorite temple was Temple of Hera I, (as it is commonly called) since it is so well preserved. Within the one temple you have 3 different sizes of doric columns. The largest being on the outside, and the two smaller in the middle stacked on top of each other (with the smallest on the top).
After visiting Paestum for a couple hours we headed to Atrani. It is such a beautiful and amazing little town. The views are breathtaking. I loved how quaint and serene everything was. Even though the town may be small, you're close to everything. The beach was only a 3-5 minute walk max, Amalfi, (the neighboring town) was maybe a 10-15 minute walk and Ravello, was about a 45 minute hike.
There is so much to do there. I spent most my time swimming, sketching, hiking and eating really good sea food. (The Atrani picture on the left was taken at the top of the cliff we hiked to at the lookout ridge). From there you could see both Atrani and Amalfi.
It was absolutely amazing. I definitely want to go back again sometime.

No comments: