June 02, 2011

Roma week two!



I can't believe it's almost been another week. The time is flying by so fast, it's almost sad. I don't ever want it to end. The most amazing things week were the Colosseum and the basilica di San Clemente. The Basilica was three layers of ruins. You would never notice from the first floor that there is anything below it. The two floors below it are unbelievable. It's hard to imagine anyone just building on top of these amazing buildings. I don't think any of us can even fathom how old these things are. My other favorite thing this week was the Colosseum. After seeing pictures my whole life, it still was something that no pictures can capture. We all walked in mouth open, eyes wide, unable to take in exactly what we were seeing. One of the most famous buildings in the world was under our feet. We spent a while there just trying to imagine how this building has lasted as long as it has. I am still in awe of this breathtaking building.

The pictures I took are from the outside of the Colosseum walking up to it, and looking out of the Colosseum at the city of Rome. I have learned to really appreciate the juxtaposition of the old and new in the city of Rome, and this picture looking out from the Colosseum really helps show it.

]I am already dreading leaving this amazing place. I'm in love!

No comments: