Here is an example of what I try to do when I’m sketching on my own. I find a subject, take a quick picture, and glance at the composition, value, and proportions. Then I sketch it practicing my perspective and value so that by the time I get to the watercolor, I have something more to go off of. This watercolor was very small because I was trying to be quick and experiment with mixing and layering colors. For this subject, the Ponte Cestio, it was maybe an hour to do both, but I was pleased with the outcome. It seems to be a good way to be less intimidated about sketching and watercolor because I’m getting faster and more accurate. It has even made trying to photograph everything less appealing because usually I try to sketch anything worth taking a photo of, or any photos I set up before a sketch tend to be better than most.
June 02, 2011
Here is an example of what I try to do when I’m sketching on my own. I find a subject, take a quick picture, and glance at the composition, value, and proportions. Then I sketch it practicing my perspective and value so that by the time I get to the watercolor, I have something more to go off of. This watercolor was very small because I was trying to be quick and experiment with mixing and layering colors. For this subject, the Ponte Cestio, it was maybe an hour to do both, but I was pleased with the outcome. It seems to be a good way to be less intimidated about sketching and watercolor because I’m getting faster and more accurate. It has even made trying to photograph everything less appealing because usually I try to sketch anything worth taking a photo of, or any photos I set up before a sketch tend to be better than most.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment