June 29, 2011

Assisi




Well, this last weekend we had our last field trip as a group and it was a great one. I really enjoy learning about Italy by watching over sitting in a lecture hall. Both fields trips have provided a chance to see multiple faces of Italy. One the beautiful Amalfi coast and the other along medieval looking hill towns of Umbria. Spoleto was a fun small town to explore. I got the chance to go up into the castle. It has a rather interesting exhibition halls, but even better views overlooking the town and valley and the amazing aquaduct located nearby. Perugia was this exciting vibrant college town in the mist of medieval and stone structure. Absolutely enjoyed the juxtaposition of the two. On our orientation tour we saw how spontaneous the town can be with impromptu bands, spinning man, and dancing ballerinas on a motorized piano. Really enjoyed being in that small town. And the mini-metro was quite the experience. But Assisi was this hidden Gem. The stone building, the hovering fortress on the hill, the magnificent churches and basilicas there, and the history behind them is amazing. I was intrigued by the religious history the town possess with churches like the one dedicated to St. Claire and the Basilica of St. Francis. I believe that the basilica was one of my favorite and best pencil sketches yet. There were no bad views in this town, the narrow, romantic streets, the open main piazza, the magnificent churches, and the Fortress, Rocca Maggiore, overlooking the entire valley. On our first night there, a group of us invaded the castle. We snuck in during a Moto club Convention happening inside the fortress. The Fortress was an awesome experience through its narrow halls and never-ending spiraling stairs that culminated to a breath taking view of Assisi and beyond at night. Its hard to imagine that I only have a little over 2 weeks left in Rome. I hope to have a great time during my time left here; I hope someday I return for sure.

No comments: