I have really been enjoying our walking tours. Especially today when we visited all those churches with Scott when we learned about Early Christian Rome. I was blown away by basilica di San Clemente. All the different layers of history "buried" underneath the current basilica church that is at ground level. Im glad we were able to go and see the other layers buried 35 feet or so underground. It was amazing! And to think- all of that, the church and Roman apartments, were buried to the world until the mid 1800's when it was excavated. I enjoyed the church so much I even bought a book on it, which I particularly like because it gives you the plans for the different layers in transparent paper so that you can not only see them individually but see how they overlap each other. If find this to be very informative.
I didn't take many pictures for this church since I spent most of the time in the moment enjoying it. Instead shown is a picture of another church we visited today, Santi Quattro Coronati, inside the cloister.
No comments:
Post a Comment