On Friday we finally went to the big beautiful beast that is the Colosseum. Before arriving at this sketching site, I have to admit I was pretty nervous. The angles and perspective of this monument are pretty difficult and intense to adjust your eyes, let alone sketch at the accurate scale. After having a large cappuccino and cornetto, I put my game face on and was ready to tackle this beast. Matt started out teaching us the lines that we should show first, and how the arches should be the last thing to place into the sketch. My problem is that I always want to dive into the shadows and the arches first thing, which is bad because then my proportions and perspective get all messed up. The first picture is my first attempt, and I wasn't completely disappointed. I did get caught up with having the big tree in the middle of my viewpoint though, and I think I could have left that out and just focused on the right side. After another short break, I changed my viewpoint and went up on the hill that looked down on the colosseum. I was in the shade and put my music in, and I began to feel for the first time that I was maybe improving in my sketches this summer. I mean, I know I have improved, but this was the first time I could catch a glimpse of it in my work. After an hour of working on this second angle, I decided to call it quits and be content with what I had produced. I am pleased and it was another great day in Roma Roma!
xo, Meghan

No comments:
Post a Comment