Our trip to Umbria this past weekend was unforgettable. At first, I was upset that we were moving around so much and unable to really sink in to each town like we were able to in Atrani, but by the end, I'm just grateful that I got to experience the amazing towns of Spoleto, Assisi, and Perugia. All it means is that I have to come back to Italy and spend more time in all of them, what a shame! I'm a sucker for exposed stone, so Assisi was heaven for me with the warm, vibrant white and pink stone that has been revealed across most of the town. These places definitely fit into our motto that every day is leg day in Italy, but the hills and stairways make getting lost while exploring so much more dynamic and exciting. The churches were also refreshing, with littles nuances, like trapezoidal plans, asymmetrical plans with secondary naves, and a huge variance between ornamentation and bare bones architecture. Even though we were moving around a lot, I felt like I had more time than ever to sketch, paint, and spend hours in the Basilica of San Francesco soaking in the frescoes and architecture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment