July 11, 2014

Learning to Watercolor


Watercoloring has been so much fun while studying here in Roma, yet it has also been my most challenging task.  We started off learning by just showing form of spaces and objects, which is really good for me ((I tend to want to show every single detail)).  Matt was saying that you have to plan out the watercolor for a longer time than it will actually take to watercolor the painting.  I have been learning that the hard way. I have been struggling with leaving white on the page and wanting to show shadows and darks too soon.  I have learned that once you put the paint to the paper, you usually can't take it back, and you have to move quickly with the water.  Also, I have found that I need SO much water to get good, even washes and a smooth and consistent color on the page.  I am learning- and loving it! I hope that I can continue to practice this skill when Im back home in the states! 

xo, Meghan 

No comments: