July 20, 2014

Final Projects





It is finally that time, that our final projects of the summer are due.  After a long weekend of working hard, and one all nighter, my urban fabric project is complete.  Reflecting on this study for the summer, I am really pleased with what I have learned and the new perspective I have gained towards architecture and the built environment.  Before, I would look A building or A public space, and analyze it as an individual entity.  Now, however, I look at the forms and massing of the buildings and spaces that make up the environment around me and see at as a unified fabric that wraps and winds itself around the topography and streets.  I loved this project because it challenged me in a way I had never been challenged before.  My piazza space that I re-designed only ended up adding a small chunk of positive urban space on the second level, connecting two buildings together with an arcade below it.  By simply adding that space, it transformed the entire space and showed me that we don't need to tear down buildings and start new, but that we need to work the forms and texture and layers of the space that are already there and transform the space according to the fabric around it.  I am excited to bring this new knowledge with me back to the United States to apply to my next projects! For now though, I am relieved to be done! 
xo, Meghan 

No comments: