As our studio and piazza projects are rapidly picking up, we
had a very busy week, balancing schoolwork with exploring Rome. Towards the
beginning of the week we got to take a tour of the more modern areas of Rome,
which was fascinating. I often disregard the fact that not everything in Rome
is ancient; it was a really interesting change of pace. Not having traveled
through the U.S. very much, it was really fun to see some modern architecture
in use. I loved being able to see the theater and analyze its acoustics and
arrangement quickly.
On Friday, I
had the opportunity to attend a dance performance in Ostia Antica, where they
used the amphitheater as the stage. It was fascinating to see ancient ruins
used in a modern way. I really enjoyed the fact that they still use the
amphitheater as they did thousands of years ago. At the performance I got to
talk to a lot of really kind Italians. They were in their mid 20’s, and were
all raving about how fantastic America is. I was a little confused, since I
think Italy is exponentially greater than the U.S., but it was a really
interesting perpective to consider. Nina, who just graduated with a degree in
Interior Design from the University of Rome, said that she’s been to New York
three times and every time she sees the Statue of Liberty she cries. It
reminded me of the feeling Americans get when they see such sights as the Coliseum
or the Pantheon. It made me rethink my attitude comparing America with Italy. I
suppose the grass is always greener. Can’t wait to see what these next couple
of weeks are in store for! Arrividerci!
No comments:
Post a Comment