Everything has slowly come to an end. I say slowly because for the past couple days
our Idaho Architecture group has slowly but surely diminished. There are now only five students remaining in
Rome. The others have either gone home
or continued their journey elsewhere in Europe.
I have been expecting but dreading this day for about a month. I feel as though after two months of living
here I am just now starting to feel quite comfortable, I have my favorite pizza
joint, my favorite panini place, a favorite kebab duka (which I’d never tried
before coming to Rome), the group even has a favorite gelateria. On Saturday morning I ascended to the top of
St. Peters dome and was also able to pick out major monuments. I remember on our orientation walk with Matt,
two days after arriving in Rome, we were up by the Campidoglio and he asked us
to name the various domes and other monuments, I could mention a mere two. This evening the remaining five of us, Clay,
Monique, Ciera, Brenda and I, went up the Janiculum Hill to watch the sun set
one last time and we realized just how much we have only scratched the surface. We have gone between the Victor Emanuel Monument
and St. Peters countless times, but there is still so much beyond that we saw
from atop to hill. I truly do not want
to leave, and the only thing that gives me comfort is the fact that I will be
back! When I come back, I am sure all my
favorite restaurants and definitely monuments will still be here, I will
already know the shortcuts I’ve learned, and I will know more Italian.
Ciao Italia, ti amo!
No comments:
Post a Comment