This weekend field trip to Spoleto, Perugia, and Assisi was the second and last one we
all go on as group out of Rome. The
first was to Paestum, Atrani, and Amalfi.
The two locations were quite different.
Amalfi is located along the western coast. It is a small town of narrow passageways and
never ending steps with the benefit of the Mediterranean sea to cool off in,
after a long hike. Assisi, where we
spent the majority of the weekend, was a much different experience than our
first field trip. On Friday we made our
way up to Spoleto where I sketched Cattedrale Di Santa Maria Assunta (The Duomo
of Spoleto) and Ponte Delle Torri.
The Duomo of Spoleto
We
left that evening for Perugia where we stayed the night. The next day, Saturday
June 23rd, I sketched various subjects throughout the day, one was
Basilica Di San Pietro, which I also did a diagram of illustrating the interior
open-air courtyard. Saturday evening we
left for Assisi, where we spent the remaining two days and two nights of the
field trip. In all three towns before
splitting up to explore, eat, and sketch Matt gave an orientation tour. This helped us immensely on figuring out good
sketching opportunities at different times of the day, and most importantly the
significance of the subjects we were sketching.
I always find the act of sketching more enjoyable when I know the
meaning and history behind the subject. The town of Assisi is the birth place of Saint
Francis. Saint Francis had a large
impact on Assisi and his life has been remembered throughout the years, even to
this day. Francis of Assisi, in his
adult life, was a peaceful spiritual man.
He founded the Franciscan order.
There is a church in Assisi dedicated to him. When we first entered the gates I noticed how
challenging of a drawing it would be, but I knew that I wanted to come back and
sketch it from that vantage point.
St. Francis, Assisi
I enjoyed this field trip a lot and feel as though my sketching skills are improving. I really noticed it when I compared sketches done when I first came to Rome to ones done this weekend.


No comments:
Post a Comment