June 10, 2010

Romulus and Remus










The statue of Romulus and Remus suckling from the she wolf is one of the most significant icons of Roman antiquity. I felt a strange sensation photographing the original statue in the Capitaline Museum. The icon is as old as Rome itself, and to be able to stand so near such an important and priceless piece of history was fairly overwheling. Museum curators were setting up an exhibit in the space and there was a hysterical atmosphere in the room, yet I still felt a strong set of emotions in the presence of the statue, and the hustle and bustle were silenced by my reverence. Rome is one of the most historically significant cities in the world, and this statue defines Rome more than anything else I have encountered, as it is seen on everything from the pre-euro Italian currency to city trash cans to statuettes in every souvenir shop. The capitaline museum is literally the oldest museum in the world, and I found many marvels there.

1 comment:

bnewt said...

See, your feet aren't that big!