June 29, 2010

Urban Density Permeates All


One of the most surprising aspects of the city of Rome for me is the density that permeates every facet of society. Prior to traveling here, I expected to be overwhelmed with the shear mass of people packed into such a small area. What I did not expect was to what extent this would prevail.
I was shocked a few weeks ago when I entered the church of Santa Maria Trastevere to get a glimpse of the interior, only to discover that a funeral was in progress. I immediately felt uncomfortable with being present at such a private matter. I then noticed that there were at least fifteen other tourists of varying nationalities inside the church at the same time. I noticed them because they were all gawking at the proceedings and admiring the wonderful artwork the church had to offer. Some were even taking pictures. I was appalled that such a thing would be happening during someone’s funeral, but equally surprised that no one in the family of the deceased seemed to mind.
Something of this nature back in the states is inconceivable. Here in one of the most historic cities in the world however, that sees immense numbers of tourists along with an already dense population, this is not uncommon. While I still found it disrespectful to the deceased, I found myself intrigued by the permeation of the urban density into the most private of matters. I also gathered that if no tourists were allowed into churches during mass, weddings, or funerals that the hours open to tourists would be severely limited, only to create a quagmire of impatient masses vying for the limited but highly coveted entries into all of the historic churches that Rome has to offer. I suppose it is like any other problem that is to be solved, in that it can only be solved with understanding and compromise from all.

No comments: