June 10, 2010

Capitoline

This week we visited the Capitoline. This is physically the smallest of Rome’s hills, but by no means of lesser importance. It remains the head of power with the square redesigned by Michelangelo. It is also the sight of the first known public museum.

The Musei Capitolini houses multiple collections of classical art collected throughout the centuries. In our day, we see the need to preserve history. It amazes me that people had the foresight to recognize the need to protect these antiquities when they did so that we could have them for today. They knew the importance of protecting and safeguarding history for others to see.

My plan for the museum was to take it slow, examine it all. But I learned quickly it was too much to absorb in one visit. There were so many sculptures that all deserved undivided and extended attention. It amazed me the detail that artisans where able to achieve and the emotion that each artwork expressed. By just looking at a piece, you almost felt as though you knew their story.

And that was just the stone works. There were sets of doors with intensely detailed relief scenes. I wanted to stop people and make them look at the door instead of just blowing past to look at the obvious displays.

The Capitoline is also directly adjacent to the Roman Forum. My previous preconceived idea about Rome was that it was more spread out. But in actuality, it is very dense. I could have stood and watched over the Forum for hours. However, studio was calling. It would be worth it to visit the museum again. I’m sure I would have a different experience than the first time, not because of changes, but because of the volume and all the stories it has to offer.

No comments: