June 22, 2010

Paris


I took a trip to Paris this weekend, what an interesting experience that was. I was surprised to find out that it was kind of a spooky town. The eeriness was reflected in both the people and the structures. I felt an uneasy feeling every time I used the metro, and even watched a guy get pick pocketed, he was very angry about it and started punching anything he could in the subway. I was more fascinated however on how the spookiness was reflected in the structures. If you want to see Gothic architecture, Paris is the place to go. Almost every church I saw there was of the gothic style, awesome flying buttresses, pointed arches and rose windows. Notre Dame was insane. The gargoyles on top were all very different, awesome in their own ways. The interior was dark and huge, a large rose window by the entrance was covered by an organ, and the light implied a path that led you to the cross in the middle of the apse. I could just imagine a hunched back man scuttling along, snarling, wanting nothing more than to ring the deep, hollow bell and to be left alone.
Another aspect of the trip that was spooky was the accent to the top of the Eiffel Tower. As we got higher and higher I was wondering, “When are we going to drop?” It felt like a theme park ride. At the top was an amazing view of everything, but it was not a place for those that were afraid of heights. An awesome sunset made the experience that much better.
In conclusion to my trip, my metro to the airport stopped abruptly and they made everyone get off, a different metro derailed on the track ahead. This left me in a panic, how am I going to get to the airport. I finally re-routed myself, but unfortunately didn’t make it to the airport in time, missing my boarding time by 5 minutes. I ended up spending 52 Euros to stay the night on a marble floor at the airport, worried of getting robbed the whole time, and in the morning my 7 o’clock flight was delayed 3.5 hours due to technical difficulties. An uneasy feeling was in my stomach as we took off finally, and what a spooky conclusion to my weekend.

1 comment:

bnewt said...

Brad, I love this photo.