June 09, 2010

The adventure continues!


Rome seems to be the city that always has a surprise behind every corner. There is always something unexpected to be seen from a church that pops into the end of an alley to a statue that stuns me with its size.
These events seem to happen everyday and I never get tired of that initial WOW moment when I go past something or around a corner and this amazing facade has presented itself right in front of me. These surprises are possible because of the layers of the city and how the city developed itself through time. The city was never really master planned and changes through time seemed to just add more depth to what is already here. Nothing here is a greenfield; it seems like if you dug under any building in town you would be surprised by the foundation of a building that had previously been forgotten by people and time. Because of this Rome is the eternal city and in many places these layers are visible right up against each other where you might see a fascist era building against a building built 1500 years ago next to an apartment building built in the 1750s. The mix of these layers creates a complex composition that leaves me always ready for something new and something that I have never seen when I round every corner. I'm sure more surprises are soon to come.

No comments: