June 08, 2010

Barcelona


I flew myself to Barcelona, Spain this weekend. My expectations were blasted out of the water, what a cool city to say the least. As I was busing into the city at 11 pm I saw from a distance a blurring but very obvious blew illumination. As the bus kept going I realized that I was staring at Jean Nouvels building Torre Agbar. As if I was not already fascinated enough Sagrada Familia passed by, taking my excitement levels to an even higher state. What an amazing introduction into such an amazing city.
For the next 2.5 days I spent my time walking the city, seeing one of my most favorite architect’s works at its best, Antonio Guadi. His style is so crazy, organic underwater out of this world structures unleashed across the city. My personal favorites were of course Sagrada Familia, but one I was not as aware of was the park Guadi designed, Guell Park. It was as if I was in a mystical fairy tale land. His style is so unique compared to anything that I have ever seen, I was absolutely impressed. At the top of the hillside it was designed on you could see all of Barcelona, the city all the way to the sea, and further. It was a breath taking view. We sat there for hours drinking cerveza and having a picnic while watching the sunset, engulfing the horizon with subtle shades of pink and blue.
I could probably write a 6 page essay about this city. The culture was great and the architecture was extremely impressive. An awesome Picasso museum shows you the development through another crazy man’s life as the architecture shows you the development of a crazy city. I recommend to all, take a weekend and check out Barcelona, you will not be disappointed. Though the food in Italy is much better, the interest I found in Spain was comparable. It was an awesome experience.

No comments: