July 02, 2013

Ovals and circles

Once the group got back into Rome, Monday night, we were all exhausted.  This week went by really fast but we did a lot. For Tuesday, the group did a circle sketching exercise that was very difficult but helpful. We went to Piazza Sant' Ignazio to start and then we finished at Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza. Drawing Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza was challenging but a lot of fun as well. I want to continue to go back there and draw there because the contrast between the concave circles and the convex circles creates an interesting space and interesting subject to draw. On Wednesday, we had our last tour this week with Tom Rankin; which was fantastic!! He talked to us about the 7 green themes of Roma. I took down so many notes that I filled my entire Rome note book. The projects and ideas that he was discussing with us were very helpful for understanding where the city could go in the future. On Thursday, the group had a pinup for our piazza study projects. On Friday, we did some more sketching. The highlight of this sketching session was going to San Pietro in Montorio, where Matt showed us a different technique of sketching the space with continuously drawing circles and ovals. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot.

No comments: