July 03, 2013

Chasing obelisks!

   As of yesterday we officially only have two weeks left here in Rome. As sad as that is, it has motivated me to make the most of my summer here. This week I have put a significant dent in my to do list visiting the Baths of Diolecian, Baths of Caracala, Santa Maria Maggiore, Monte Testacchio, and Palazzo del Freddo (the first Italian Gelato factory). Unfortunately, in a city like Rome we are never done and each day I find myself adding more to the list. While balancing studio and sketching I am determined to do as much as I can. 
   In addition, I am getting to know the city a little better by playing a fun game called Chasing Obelisks. I have made it a goal to visit and sketch all 13 obelisks in Rome in 13 days. I started this adventure just a week ago and today I will be headed to my 8th obelisk. I have enjoyed the challenges that each obelisk presents and have made use of my guide book daily learning about their origins. Here are a few of my favorites from the past week. 
Piazza della Minerva

Piazza dell Esquino

Pincian Hill
I am excited to see what other adventures the remaining six obelisks have in store for me!

No comments: