
One would think, “Oh my God, I’m in Rome!” It took me a couple days to figure this out and to have the reality really set in. I was on our first overview walking tour of Rome on this past Sunday- just taking it all in while trying to avoid tripping or traffic accidents. Matt kept discussing the ‘Baroque city’ idea behind Rome’s design that provides small spaces and tight areas that break out around a corner into a piazza, ancient ruin, or monumentally infamous structure. I was walking near the front of the group when we turned an unsuspecting corner and all that fell out of my mouth when I looked up were along the lines of “HOLY ----!" The Pantheon was staring at me. I am not even sure that it was this moment that slapped me in the face with “Oh my God, I’m in Rome!” But I will probably continue to say that every time I walk through that piazza, I still feel the same way- minus the profanity of course.
At first many of the streets blurred together, but following my first encounter with the Pantheon, I began to connect the dots and find general the location of things such as our apartment, our studio, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiore, the Spanish Steps, etc. While romance lingers on every corner, I get a little skip in my step when I pass locals humming on their strolls through this intertwined Baroque city, and love when I come across one of the numerous picturesque street scenes that scream, “Get out your sketchbook!!”
Adjusting to the culture has not been difficult, but it has been interesting. Whether I am trying to speak Italian and it sounds like an English- Spanish- Italian jumble or if I spend ten extra minutes trying to figure out how a public sink works, it has been interesting. With a little smile on a face, a little sunburn on my back, and a little Roman food in my stomach, I’m happy here in Rome.
At first many of the streets blurred together, but following my first encounter with the Pantheon, I began to connect the dots and find general the location of things such as our apartment, our studio, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiore, the Spanish Steps, etc. While romance lingers on every corner, I get a little skip in my step when I pass locals humming on their strolls through this intertwined Baroque city, and love when I come across one of the numerous picturesque street scenes that scream, “Get out your sketchbook!!”
Adjusting to the culture has not been difficult, but it has been interesting. Whether I am trying to speak Italian and it sounds like an English- Spanish- Italian jumble or if I spend ten extra minutes trying to figure out how a public sink works, it has been interesting. With a little smile on a face, a little sunburn on my back, and a little Roman food in my stomach, I’m happy here in Rome.
No comments:
Post a Comment