May 30, 2009

Europe...Truely a Different World

Arriving a week earlier than everyone, has given me a different first outlook on Roma. My dad and I (after watching taken refused to let me come alone) arrived on May 16th. Neither of us have ever been across seas or spoken a different language, making it hard to adjust at first. The driving is one of the scariest things I have ever seen in my life. It was like being in a video game, except there was no restart button; cars making 2 lanes into a 4 lane road, bikes weaving in and out of traffic, people driving up on curves, things that if you even ever thought about in the US would probably put you in jail. Even though the roman’s are crazy drivers they do know how to work together to make it around safely. My dad and I drove up to Germany for 5 days to visit some family in Regensburg. That was probably one of the most amazing experiences so far. Not only did I get to experience Roma I got to drive up through northern Italy (which was the most beautiful amazing scenery I have EVER seen!) into Germany (my heritage country). Even though it is a long drive it was the best way we could have traveled there. The mountains, historic towns, castles, and especially figuring out the Autobahn was an experience I wouldn’t trade.
Meeting up with Matt was an experience in itself. The buses are hard to figure out at first. After getting on the wrong bus, my dad almost getting pick-pocketed, and trying to talk to someone that spoke no English, we finally found the right bus to Trastevere. Having my dad there to help me move in was nice, but when he finally left was when I got snapped back to reality about where I really was…Rome! The most historic city in the world! Not only am I in the most amazing city, I am in it with amazing people (making a bond like family through this experience)…of course having Matt here is one of the things I am looking forward to the most. All the knowledge that he has in his brain just shocks me every day!
The first week has given me a peek of what to expect in the next 7 weeks…I can’t even explain how amazing it really is…this is definitely a life changing experience…and only time will tell of all the things I will see and learn in the next 7 weeks.
Photo1: Bolzania, Photo 2: Piazza del Popolo

1 comment:

Teena said...

Wow Emily, great pictures. What an experience, sounds like you are really having a great time. Your Dad shared the blog site with us, so we will check it often. Have fun and be safe! Luv, A.Teena