May 28, 2009

“La Passeggiata di Ogni Giorno”


I live in the apartment at Via di Trastevere, which means 20 minutes walk every day to Piazza Santa Maria dei Trastevre; where the studio is located.  Along this walk I experience a variety of intense smells, good and bad and really bad ones.

The first smell of the passeggiata is the flower stand along via Trastevere.  It is very strong and fresh and similar to smelling a lot of concentrated lavenders.  Unfortunately this smell only lasts a sniff while walking by.   Five minutes after the lovely flower smell you will experience a very unpleasant fragrance coming from a homeless guy that is always seating or sleeping at the same entrance door.  It was so bad at one point that Veronica almost gagged when she noticed the upsetting scent without even realizing him.  It’s unfortunate that the terrible scent had extended into the pedestrian walkway.  A couple of blocks away you will find the Cheese store. There are a lot of cheeses that contribute to a very intense smell.  Don’t get me wrong, I love cheese, I live off of cheese.  However, when there is that much cheese together in one little store, it’s very hard to enjoy.  And if you’re lucky the walk ends with a really good aroma coming from the window of the restaurant located under our studio. 

I’m a person that really enjoys experiencing various scents.  I wanted to share these different scents with everyone to give an alternate experience of Rome aside from visual.  I also believe that the sense of smell is one that permanently resides in my memory.  

No comments: