May 28, 2009

Do they even know?

Being in a city like Rome cannot be explained briefly. I walk around this city day after day (for a whole 5 days) and become dizzy by the varying buildings and building types. It's astounding to see in person how much history this city is built on. Around every corner is another church or another ruin or another or another. I seriously think both big and small there are surprises everywhere you look. Moments that take your breath away and moments that make you ponder.

I wonder how anyone ever gets anything done in this city! You can't walk down the street without seeing another treasure of history. So I wonder if they even know what is right in front of them, beside them, beneath them?

I wouldn't claim to know a lot about architecture but certainly more than your average lay person. Even still without someone "holding my hand" and describing what's right before my eyes a church is just a church and a building is just a building. Granted they are beautiful and you can appreciate them for their aesthetic qualities but its moments when you really start to understand the layers and pieces and history that it becomes magic. Being here is not enough. Scraping the surface is a cop out. Digging in and beginning to understand all that is Rome allows it the glory that it deserves. I am excited about the start of this endeavor and only hope that I have enough time for understanding to blossom.

The following image is from Largo del Pallaro and is only one of the many surprises found in this city.

No comments: